A better half to ladies within the historical global offers an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based number of newly-commissioned essays from trendy students at the research of girls within the historic world.
• the 1st interdisciplinary, methodologically-based choice of readings to handle the learn of girls within the historic global
• Explores a huge diversity of issues when it comes to girls in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess conception; girls in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; ladies and the relatives, the country, and faith; gown and Adornment; girl Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial girls; ladies in past due Antiquity; Early ladies Saints; and plenty of extra
• Thematically prepared to stress the significance of old subject matters of continuity, improvement, and innovation
• Reconsiders a lot of the well known facts and preconceived notions when it comes to ladies in antiquity comprises contributions from the various such a lot sought after students linked to the research of girls in antiquity
Selected via selection as a 2013 awesome educational Title
Awarded a 2013 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
Read or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World, Volume 165) PDF
Best women books
Within the Petticoat Affair, prize-winning historian John F. Marszalek deals the 1st in--depth research of the earliest -- and maybe maximum -- political intercourse scandal in American heritage. in the course of Andrew Jackson's first time period in place of work, Margaret Eaton, the spouse of Secretary of kingdom John Henry Eaton, used to be branded a "loose lady" for her unconventional public lifestyles.
Maria Robaszkiewicz fragt in ihrem Buch worin politische Kompetenz besteht, welche Fähigkeiten der Beteiligung am politischen Geschehen zugrunde liegen und wie eine politische Sphäre geschaffen werden kann, die trotz der Pluralität von Meinungen, einen Raum für politische Gemeinschaft bietet. Sie greift dabei auf Hannah Arendts Konzept des politischen Denkens zurück, das mögliche Antworten auf diese Fragen gibt.
- Judy Blume
- Miller's Valley
- Women and the Vote: A World History
- Sonia Sotomayor. U.S. Supreme Court Justice
Additional info for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World, Volume 165)
Further, there are two schools of thought amongst women ofﬁcers—one viewed the support role played by women ofﬁcers as entirely appropriate and the other viewed it as discriminatory. The review noted the importance of the support of male colleagues as an important factor in the progress of women police and concludes thats despite nearly 100 years of women’s involvement in police, they are still a marginalized minority. 2). These are mostly countries that have the resources and data needed to complete the survey.
Under the community-oriented model (sometimes called the Anglo Saxon model), policing legitimacy is accorded by citizens, and police work within a decentralized structure to safeguard society from crime. 1). Legitimacy refers to the special authority granted to police by those in power, whether an elite within the society, an occupying force, or the community as a whole. Structure refers to the degree of specialization within the police and the extent to which codes of practice govern such technical matters as legitimate use of force.
In spite of condemnation by the courts of the use of height and weight standards, many police departments continue to use physical tests. Birzer and Craig (1996) review eight years’ worth of data to see whether the test measures abilities demanded by various police tasks. They found little relationship between the abilities tested and the physical demands of the job. Attitudes and perceptions change over time and what may have been true in the 1970s and 1980s may not hold now. Breci (1997) reports a study designed to ﬁnd out whether the public still hold the same stereotypical attitudes prevalent in the 1970s and 1980s about the capacity of female ofﬁcers to deal with violence.